NAPS Branch 105
PO Box 9101
Providence RI 02940-9101

Regular Meeting #4 Minutes - 02/13/2019
Meeting place:
Ralph’s Kitchen at Santa Maria DiPrata Society, 29 Walnut Grove Avenue, Cranston RI 02920.
Members present: 25 (18 general, 7 associates)



Our President, Sabir (Jamal) Salih, called the meeting to order at 6:15 with the Pledge of Allegiance led by James Brien.

Roll Call of Officers:  Sabir (Jamal) Salih, Roger Johnson, Barbara Bouchard, and Sue Evans - present.
Executive Board members present:  Shaun Branch, David Costa, Kristine Moore, and Al Kesack,
Excused:  Donna Machala, Victor Giorgio, and Colleen Sherratt

There was one first-timer in attendance tonight, Anthony Alviti.

Joining us tonight is Chuck Narcisco, the President of UPMA.

Barbara Bouchard gave the Secretary's Report.  Barbara said that according to the last DCO report we received (through December 31, 2018), we have 137 general members, 21 associate members, and 27 non-members, and one on the change report, for a total of 158.  As far as correspondence received, we received a sweet card from Hilary Rogers in addition to a couple of phone calls from her father, John.  They were so appreciative to receive the NAPS scholarship.  She is in her third year at Tufts Medical School where she is now on rotations in different departments and hospitals after getting 3.7 to 4.0 in all of her classes the first two years.  She is a brilliant girl.  But the costs associated with a medical degree are incredible, so they were thrilled to receive this scholarship from us.

Motion to accept the Secretary's report:  Made by Shaun Branch and seconded by Mike Imondi, and all were in favor.

Before the Treasurer’s report was given, Jamal acknowledged that we have had an emergency change back to Sue Evans in this position.

Treasurer's report by Sue Evans:  Sue indicated she is in the process of recreating the transactions since she left in May 2018 (because we have not gotten the records back to date).  So she began by holding the budget meeting will all members of the Executive Board on January 30th.  She anticipated a total income of $27,570 from dues, special deposits, and money market dividends. She indicated a budget of $23,627 for conventions/training, events/speaker gifts, retiree gift cards, meetings, insurance/postal/supplies, the scholarship fund/donation, and reimbursements.  We are sending people to three conventions this year: 

  • LTS is March 10-13 in Washington DC (Attendees:  Donna Machala, Jamal, Dave Costa)
  • NE Regional Training in Puerto Rico on March 29-31 (Jamal attending)
  • New England Area Convention in May 16-19 in New Hampshire (Attendees:  Jamal, Sue Evans, Shaun Branch)

So we are in good shape.  Mr. Conroy Sr. asked who attended the National Convention last August?  Barbara said she did, Roger Johnson, Shaun Branch, Joann Keeling, Greg Anderson, Vic Giorgio, and Cy Dumas.

Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report:  Made by Betty DiSalvia., and seconded by Chuck Narciso.  All were in favor.

At 6:30 P.M., Jamal said we will break for dinner now.  The meeting resumed at 7:05 P.M.

Roger Johnson gave the Vice President's report:  Roger had nothing new to report.

Dave Costa gave the Legislative Report (for Donna who could not attend tonight).  We have the upcoming Legislative Training Seminar in Washington DC, which is scheduled for March 10-13, 2019.  Appointments have been scheduled on Tuesday, March 12th, with Senators Reed and Whitehouse in the morning, and with Congressmen Langevin and Cicilline in the afternoon.  Those planning to attend are Donna, Jamal, and Dave Costa. 

The challenges NAPS faces is two-fold.  First educating the 100 new lawmakers on the basics of the Postal Service, and secondly, educating the new staff hired by these new lawmakers.  The average age of the House Staffer is mid-20s (on the Senate side a little bit older.)  NAPS plays a pivotal role in teaching them who we are and what we do.

In addition to NAPS’ top legislative priorities, Postal Reform and MSPB Rights to all EAS, NAPS also monitors and lends support for a number of other bills that affect the USPS and Federal employees.  The 2019 NAPS-supported legislation includes:

  • HR 597 – introduced by Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA) legislation to extend the right to appeal to the Merit System Protection Board to certain EAS level employees of the USPS.
  • HR 141 – introduced by Rep. Rodney Davis (R-IL) legislation to repeal the Windfall Elimination Provisions and the Government Pension Offset.
  • HR 1 – introduced by Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD) legislation to increase voter participation in elections (e.g., Vote by Mail), reduce influence of “big money” in politics, and strengthen ethical rules for elected officials.
  • H Res. 54 – introduced by Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA) expresses that Congress ensures the continuation of six-day mail delivery.
  • H Res 33 – introduced by Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-MA) expresses that Congress ensures that the Postal Service is not privatized.
  • H Res 23 – introduced by Rep. Susan Davis (D-CA) expresses that Congress ensures continued door delivery of mail.

From the weekly podcast of NAPS Chat hosted by Bob Levy, NAPS Director of Legislative and Political Affairs:

Long-term financial stability of our organization requires three things:

  • Need legislative reform
  • Favorable outcome to the Postal Rate Commission’s ten-year price review (more flexible pricing regulation from PRC review)
  • Innovate, improve efficiently and effectively execute our business strategy (continued management innovation and efficiency.)

Last week’s podcast was with Ivan Butts and Rep. Barbara Lawrence (D-MI) who was a guest speaker at last year’s LTD.  She is a former Postal employee with 30 years of service.  They covered Postal Reform being reintroduced, the President’s Task Force Report, and benefits.  She wants Postal Reform to pass and be good legislation.  There won’t be any major changes, if anything it will be minor, and she will be monitoring it closely.  There is a statement from Rep. Lawrence posted on the NAPS website regarding the President’s Task Force Report, which she says was very clear in their objective to privatize the USPS.  On the benefits issue, they are having ongoing discussions about the USPS pre-funding obligation, trying to get reasonable minds to understand this is not practical and is creating the majority of the crisis we are seeing financially in the USPS.  There will be a push from Rep. Lawrence to remove this requirement as we are not talking about Federal government money.

Donna encourages everyone to listen to this weekly Friday podcast which is available at the National NAPS website and usually is brief.

Informed Delivery (ID) has grown to 15 million subscribers.  The free feature offers multiple benefits to consumers, allowing them to preview their incoming mail and management their packages from computers, tablets, and other mobile devices.  Businesses can add interactive content to the ID emails that subscribers receive.  Subscribers can click this content and be taken to the company’s website to receive offers, coupons, or to learn more about the firm’s products and services.  USPS wants to increase the number of consumers who subscribe to ID because this will encourage more businesses to add interactive content to the emails, thereby boosting the USPS’s revenue.

As always, SPAC contributions can be made online at the naps.org website, set up via USPS payroll deductions, and through OPM retirement allotment.

Motion to accept the Legislative Rep's report:  Made by Bob Conroy, Jr., seconded by Jo Ann Krzyzek.

Old Business:  Convention attendees and dates noted above in the Treasurer’s report.

Jamal said he would like to create a Membership Committee which will address the surveys developed by Mr. Conroy, Sr.  Jamal asked him to work on this with one or two other people and work on the non-member list.  For a branch our size, 27 non-members is high.

Rose Russo asked about the SWCS study, has there been any conclusion?  Jamal said he heard from NAPS people that it was butchered.  They picked supervisors who were not good at their jobs.  We will get more information on this at the next convention from Jimmy Warden and Tony Roma.

New Business:

Jamal asked Jim Bourque to speak on the new Supervisor Program, called USP, coming to everyone in May 2019.  The new training program will be more like the ASP was, moving teaching and coaching back to the units.  They will have projects to complete, tests to take, and we will need to train them.  The next class is March 4-29 (four weeks) will still be under NSP to clear the backlog of 30 people.  Then in May, the new process will be implemented.  He said this is similar to the carrier academy.  Even though they spend two weeks in training, we still need to train them once they get to the delivery unit.  He will bring more information on this to the next meeting, as he didn’t realize he would be speaking to this tonight. Nothing is set in stone at this point however.

Jamal said the fact finding is supposed to be concluded by the end of February.  Jamal said the January report card should be published at the end of February.  He said 26% of EAS did not receive raises in 2018.  The legislative bills have not been getting through the last two years.  They are trying to pass MSPB rights for EAS employees.  Barbara mentioned the handout on the tables, there is only one person left on the MSPB board (the A/Chairman), and he is retiring on February 28th.  

Jamal said other reforms being considered is shipping wine and beer as a way to increase our revenues.

Ed Phelan, the Northeast Area Vice President, has retired.  Taking over as A/NEAVP is Eric Chavez from Florida.  Bob Conroy said he was a MOP for the Southeast Area and has a delivery background.  He is very dedicated to service.  Expect to see a lot coming out about Priority Mail.  Jamal said that Tony Impronto has changed the culture on scanning in the District.  CT Valley has moved up to fifth place in the country this year.  We have to look at every piece of mail coming in and going out.  We need to do this for our customers.

Jamal mentioned the report cards.  He said the biggest issue with this is to know your goals, and know what your numbers are on the report card now.  You need to work to these goals all year.  You cannot sit back and wait until August to think about it.  If you think you have mitigating factors, you need to report them all along the way.  You must go through this process every month in order to get an anomaly approved.  Understand your numbers and what impacts them.  Dave Costa suggested we invite Chris French, the new CT Finance Manager, to our May meeting.  Rich Wilson asked what’s the point of it, why bother?  Jamal said sit with your manager and discuss your targets for the year.  That is the purpose, and then work to them.  Bob said the key indicators are TOE and accidents.  If you drive these two categories, you will get a raise.  Huge weight is placed on these two indicators on the unit and corporate sides.  Look at your line items for ideas, line 49 is for adjustments.  Bob said to Jamal, for example your office held a national stamp event.  You should be compensated for that.  Jim said bundle visibility is another easy one to go after.  Jamal said to make sure your Amazon hours are correctly charged if you are loaning carriers to other offices.  Question any Z card purchases.  Make sure they are for your vehicles.  Dave Costa said will we be impacted in 029 for the TE grievance from 2013.  So that needs to be mitigated.  Bob said look at salary and benefits vs. workhours.  TOE is dollars not hours.  POT goes towards your TOE.  Your performance summary shows this.  Know your score card.  Ask for help.

Jamal said he wants to create a Social Committee, and Vic Giorgio volunteered to chair this.  We hope to have a summer event, not a formal meeting, but a cookout type of informal get-together in a casual setting.  A cook-out at a park for example.  Also a winter holiday event.  Just a way for the branch to thank you for your commitment to this group.  He said he met three new people tonight, and he appreciates their attending this meeting.

Thank you to Rose for taking over the raffle duties tonight.  The 50/50 SPAC raffle was won by Rich Wilson.  The pot was $110.  Barbara will give the SPAC amount to Donna for submission to the fund.

Motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Roger Johnson, and was seconded by Bob Conroy, Jr., at 8:30 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Barbara A. Bouchard
NAPS Secretary