NAPS Branch 105
PO Box 9101
Providence RI 02940-9101

Regular Meeting #3 Minutes - 9/19/2019
Meeting place:  Ralph’s Kitchen at Santa Maria DiPrata Society, 29 Walnut Grove Avenue, Cranston RI 02920.
Members present:  41 (31 active, 10 associates)


Our President, Sabir (Jamal) Salih, called the meeting to order at 6:20 P.M. with the Pledge of Allegiance led by Chris Ferreira.

Roll Call of Officers:  Sabir (Jamal) Salih, President; Shaun Branch, Vice President; Barbara Bouchard, Secretary; and Sue Evans, Treasurer – all present.
Executive Board members present:  Victor Giorgio (late), Kristine Moore, Donna Machala, Al Kesack, David Costa, and Gregg Anderson.
Excused:  N/A

Joining us tonight are Cy Dumas, current New England AVP for NAPS, and honorary life-time member James Maisano.

First Timers:  Kyle Novo, SCS from Warwick; 204B Declan Lavey from Garden City; and Mike Foley, DRT Specialist, CTV Labor.

Cy Dumas asked to speak until we break for dinner.  He discussed how he knew Mike Foley who is in attendance tonight.  His next topic was the pay talks.  In case you do not know, NAPS has taken the U.S. Postal Service to federal court.  You should read the 22-page document.  The process should take a year to complete.  We feel the court will rule in our favor and that we will win this case.  Everyone should try to finish the current fiscal year as strongly as possible.  I want to recognize that you have a top notch executive board.
There is a nation-wide BMEU RIF.  This is due to the overall decline of mail volume, leading to a reduction in Function 4 staffing, and a loss of EAS supervisory positions.  There is no formula for their staffing, so 13 to 1 was developed.  The OIG has been conducting audits and found mailers are not being charged correctly which has led to fiduciary concerns.  Genie DelSesto said the decision makers seem to forget that the BMEU supervisor also deals with the customers.  They have a significant role in the process.  Cy said each district will be credited with one BMEU supervisor position.

At 6:40 P.M., Jamal said we will break for dinner now.  The meeting resumed at 7:10 P.M.
Cy resumed discussing his topics.  There will be a consultative meeting with CT Valley leadership in October.  We will hold officer training on Sunday, November 3rd in Marlboro MA.  Our guest speaker is the new Northeast Area VP Eric Chavez.  The last time this training was held, Branch 105 only had one attendee.
He said you have probably heard that the 027s/028s/029s will be reassigned to the Greater Boston District.  Jamal thanked Cy for his insights.

Shaun Branch gave the Vice President's report:  Shaun said we currently have one 14-day pending appeal.
Motion to accept the Vice President’s report:  The motion was made by Bob Conroy, Jr., and seconded by Genie DelSesto.  All were in favor.

Barbara Bouchard gave the Secretary's Report:  Barbara said that according to the last DCO report we received (through August 30, 2019), we have 138 general members, 26 associate members, and 22 non-members, and one on the change report, for a total of 164.  We did not receive any correspondence other than eight submissions for the scholarship.
Motion to accept the Secretary's report:  Made by Gregg Anderson and seconded by Donna Machala, and all were in favor.

Treasurer's report by Sue Evans:  Sue indicated that there is a copy of the Treasurer’s report at each table.  The total we have spent for the year is $17.569.94.  Our total assets are $41,702.07.  We have taken in +$4,128 over our expenses.  Any questions?  None.
Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report:  Made by Mr. Conroy, Sr., and seconded by Cy Dumas.  All were in favor.

Donna Machala gave the Legislative Report: 
NAPS Chat with Bob Levy is available on our national NAPS website, naps.org.  On his September 13th NAPS Chat, he interviews two new commissioners, Ann Fisher and Ashley Poling.  They are referred to as experts in Postal issues.  Bob refers to them as the A Team.  Ashley Poling was a panelist answering questions at one of our NAPS Legislative Conferences a few years ago.  She worked for Heidi Heitkamp, Democrat Representative from North Dakota, who is a huge supporter of the Postal Service and was also a guest speaker at one of our Legislative Conferences.  I encourage everyone to listen to NAPS Chat and hear from the newest members of the PRC, the role of the PRC, the Postal Service’s universal service obligation, and issues percolating at the commission.
I received invitations to upcoming events of our Congressmen.  David Cicilline is holding a Community Conversation at The Boys and Girls Club of Cumberland-Lincoln this Saturday, September 21st at 3 P.M. to provide an update on all that has been accomplished in the first 250 days of the new Congress.  He states House Democrats have delivered transformative progress on our promises to get government working For the People.  Whether it’s lowering health care costs, increasing paychecks by rebuilding our infrastructure, or cleaning up corruption on Washington, they have been hard at work to give every American the tools they need to get ahead.  This event is free and open to the public.  Jim Langevin has hosted “Lunch with Langevin” to share his concerns and feedback in an informal, one-on-one setting.
SPAC has a new form now.  Everyone purchasing a raffle ticket must sign the sheet as this is considered a donation.  Also you can sign up for payroll deductions.  Betty DiSalvia said for retirees, you would contact OPM to set up a payroll deduction.
Motion to accept the Legislative Report:  Made by Chuck Narciso and seconded by Dave Girard.  All were in favor.

Old Business:
Jamal said he had the honor last week to be the emcee of Jeanne Jackson’s installation as the Postmaster of Providence.  Senator Reed and Congressman Cicilline both spoke as did the Lt Governor McKee.  Mr. McKee specifically mentioned the participation of the Postmaster’s involvement with Operation Holiday Cheer and what it means to the troops who are overseas during the holidays.  They appreciated our donation.
Jamal wanted to thank Kristine Moore and Vic Giorgio for the social they put together in August at Goddard State Park.  They took the project on and ran with it.  We had between 20-30 attendees.  It was a fun event, and the location was excellent.
Jamal said we need to fill the Scholarship Committee.  Who would like to volunteer to be chair?  Kristine Moore volunteered.  Jamal asked for two additional members, and David Costa and John Goeden agreed.

Membership Committee:  Jamal said Mr. Conroy, Sr., wanted to speak on this.  He sent a letter out to the 21 non-members (as of the March list he received) asking them to consider joining.  He included a sign-up form and a return envelope.  We have not received any responses to date.  According to NAPS’ September magazine, there are 10,072 non-members nation-wide.  That is 76% of the total membership.  In our branch, we are at 87%.  He will have a flyer ready to go out with the next mailing of the minutes.  He feels we need to make personal contact with these folks.  He said he will give himself one year to work on this project to try to get more people to join and to attend our meetings.  Each member should give themselves a goal of attending at least one meeting per year.  We should be posting the minutes on employee bulletin boards.
He said another key element of NAPS is fighting for our compensation.  If NAPS does not win this law suit, we will not get any raises.  Regarding the nominations for election, please consider getting involved.  And do not be embarrassed if you do not win.  There is no shame if you try but you fail.  It is only a shame if you fail because you did not try.  Cy first ran in 1987 and came in last.  But twice now he has been elected as the New England VP.

New Business:
Elections will be held at our November meeting for all officers and executive board member positions.  As a result, we need a ballot committee.  Bob Conroy, Jr. volunteered to be the chairperson.  Jim Bourque and Bill Downes agreed to staff the committee.
Jamal opened nominations to the floor.  He requested nominations for the position of President of Branch 105.  Mr. Conroy, Sr., nominated Sabir Salih.  Jamal called for additional nominations for President two additional times, but there were no further submissions.  The nominations for President is closed.
Jamal called for nominations for the position of Vice President of Branch 105.  Bill Downes nominated Shaun Branch.  Jamal called for additional nominations for Vice President, but there were none.  The nominations for Vice President is closed.
Jamal called for nominations for the position of Secretary of Branch 105.  Vic Giorgio nominated Barbara Bouchard.  Jamal called for additional nominations for Secretary two more times, but there were none.  The nominations for Secretary is closed.
Jamal called for nominations for the position of Treasurer of Branch 105.  Betty nominated Sue Evans.  Jamal called for additional nominations, but there were none.  The nominations for Treasurer is closed
Jamal called for nominations for the position of Legislative Representative for Branch 105.  Steve Ravo nominated Donna Machala.  Jamal asked for more nominations, but there were none.  The nominations for Legislative Rep is closed.
Jamal now opened the floor for nominations to the six at-large positions on the Executive Board which were as follows:

  1. Kristine Moore was nominated by Jim Bourque.
  2. Gregg Anderson was nominated by Chuck Narciso.
  3. Dave Costa was nominated by Roberta Casey.
  4. Matt Tiner was nominated.
  5. Victor Giorgio was nominated by Barbara Bouchard.
  6. Al Kesack was nominated by Jessica Sargo.
  7. Anthony Alviti was nominated.
  8. Jessica Sargo was nominated.

Jamal said since we have eight nominations but only six seats, we will hold elections for the at-large positons.
Cy asked for a point of information.  He said your ballot chairman is very knowledgeable.  I ask that he explain the process.  Bob Conroy, Jr. said you will receive a ballot with the minutes of this meeting.  Each ballot will have a number at the top and only the ballot committee will have the numbers.  In order to vote, you must attend the meeting and hand the ballot into a committee member.  If you are not able to make the meeting because you have to work (or have a valid excuse), you can give your ballot to a committee member.  Cy asked if the ballots could be mailed into our P.O. box, and Bob said no and he did not believe the constitution and by-laws allow it.
Cy suggested that each nominee speak about why they want to be on the eboard. 

  • Kristine Moore said she is currently the Acting Manager in Corliss Park, but her permanent job is the Manager of Olneyville.  She has been in Providence since 1991 and has a good relationship with the majority of EAS in the city.  I speak my mind.
  • Gregg Anderson said he is the Postmaster of Wakefield and is committed to the Post Office and the Branch.
  • Dave Costa said he is a supervisor in Garden City but is currently covering as the Manager of Riverside.  He has a good rapport with upper management and will communicate in a positive way.  People feel they can easily reach out to me.
  • Matt Tiner is currently the OIC in Greenville.  He said he will work on problems and recruit to get new members.
  • Vic Giorgio said he is the Manager in Middletown RI, for about five to six years, and likes to help all of you when you have a problem.  He said he will help Mr. Conroy recruit new members.
  • Al Kesack said he is the senior SDO in the Plant and is the voice for the SDOs.
  • Tony Alviti said he is a supervisor in Warwick.  I know many of you from working 28 years in the craft.  His interest in becoming active in the group is due to the pay issues. He looks forward to helping in any way he can.
  • Jessica (Cusack) Sargo said she is an MDO in the Plant and has been an EAS for 15 years.  She’s interested in being on the eboard and getting more active due to the pay talks.  It will be a learning experience and will broaden my horizons.

After listening to everyone speak, Cy said he is so proud to be a member of this branch.  We have to train more of you to be advocates for members when they get into trouble.  He and Jay Killackey will be giving four hours of training next month if anyone is interested.

Sue Evans said that since 2020 is a national convention year, that she would like to address Article 6, Section 1 of the By-Laws.  She would like to discuss increasing the budget for that from $8,000 to $10,000 for the 2020 budget.  This is not up for discussion by the group now, it will be discussed and voted on at the next meeting.  Jamal said this is in addition to the fact that the President is paid for in full.  We will discuss this more at the November and February meetings.  The convention will be in Grapevine TX, August 17-20, 2020.

Mr. Conroy, Sr. said Becky Brown, the Postmaster of Block Island, used to be very involved in NAPS.  I propose we give her a thank you for being a loyal member of Branch 105 by sending her a $50 gift card.  Jamal asked for a show of hands, all in favor?  Cy Dumas said no.  I will speak to that as I do not think we should single anyone out for being a member.  The motion passed 40 to 1.

The 50/50 SPAC raffle was won by Mike Foley.  The pot was $190.  Donna will send the balance to SPAC.

Jamal expressed a sincere thank you for coming tonight as we have been trying to reach out to people to attend our meetings.  This is where you can network.  We want our branch to be strong as we merge with a new district.

Motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Cy Dumas, and was seconded by Bill Downes, at 8:20 P.M.
Respectfully submitted,

Barbara A. Bouchard
NAPS Secretary